The Master Plan of Delhi-2001 had laid emphasis on the development of sports facilities for all age groups within easy reach of all the sections of society. Hence DDA has developed various sports complexes, mutigyms, play-fields, etc., all over Delhi.
The objectives of DDA Sports Complexes are :-
- To provide recreational and healthy environment to the citizens of Delhi.
- To take sports to those sections of the society which cannot afford membership of prestigious clubs and those who would like to associate with ‘clubs’ totally devoted to sports.
- To promote various sports not easily accessible to the general public.
- To ensure mass participation in sports activities and thereby the spirit of mutual help and goodwill among citizens of Delhi in general and the members of the complexes in particular.
The land over which public sports complexes and golf courses of DDA have been built is the property of DDA. All facilities built thereon, are wholly owned and controlled by DDA. There are no statutory provisions, rules and regulations, bye-laws, etc., entitling participation in the management and affairs of these sports facilities by any person, institution, agency, etc., other than DDA and no person with membership/playing rights of these facilities shall have any kind of rights on the property, management and affairs of these sports complexes and golf courses. The control and management of these will also be with the DDA.
DDA has a number of Sports Complexes, Multigyms, Swimming Pools and Golf Courses. These Sports Complexes are managed by Secretaries who are ex-service officers and retired government servants.
Presently 15 sports complexes and three mini sports complexes have been constructed.
Multigyms are located in complexes and in green areas. There are 19 multigyms in sports complexes including mini sports complexes and Qutab Golf Course and 21 in green areas.
- Qutab Golf Course – The Qutab Golf Course at Lado Sarai is the first public Golf Course (18 hole) developed in the country.
- Bhalswa Golf Course – The Golf course has been developed as a Public Golf Course, keeping in view the basic intendment and purpose of the scheme of pay and play facility.
The sports complexes are membership oriented, excluding the new facilities built during the Commonwealth Games i.e., DDA Squash & Badminton Stadium and Common Wealth Games Village Sports Complex, which are purely on pay and play basis. Various types of membership are available to the public. Public may also avail facilities on “pay and play” basis. The maintenance of the complexes is essentially from member’s monthly subscription / pay and play fees and allied charges received from licensing out of snack bars, pro shops, etc. Rules and Regulations for the Sports Complexes have been formulated and membership is approved by a Screening Committee nominated for each complex.